Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Week 3: I Never Wanted To Be a Housewife

I'll tell you one thing that scares the hell out of me--running out of birth control.



When I was a kid, both my parents worked. We were poor, working class Irish--my father didn't finish high school and so bounced from job to job, until getting a job with the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Man, that feels weird now, just thinking about it. He died of cancer, and I sometimes wonder if it was being around those exhaust fumes for 8+ hours a day that did it.

My mom was a nurse; in the 1980s, this didn't seem to be anything special, but by the end of the 1990s and on, being a nurse meant you had a good-paying job, albeit dealing with sick people for the most part.

Both their parents worked; my dad's mom, because his dad died when he was four, and my mom's mom because her dad died when she was sixteen. My dad died when I was seven, but since mom was already working, this didn't change much her being home; we had less money, and she worked more hours, but otherwise, things went on as before, only a little more empty.

I'm starting to notice a pattern.


At any rate--work is what my family has always done. We didn't have any stay-at-home moms, no housewives.

Where am I going with this?

My job--my boring, stupid, data entry job--has the option of working from home, and only coming in one day a week to drop off what you've done.

It's a tempting offer.

Right now we carpool, my husband and I, since we work at the same company. But it's getting more expensive, driving to work. He's talked about becoming a homeworker, suggesting I should too.

One problem.

No health care for homeworkers.

Well. That's one hell of a wrench to throw in. I currently spend $50 a month on medication--birth control, anti-depressant, and allergy medication. No health care means pregnancy. No health care means depression and anxiety attacks come back. No heath care means... well, I can live with sneezing a lot.

I'm not sure what to do. There's got to be something. Maybe a new job, something closer to home.

I'm at a loss.




Some good news: we moved into the house last week, and I went out to Lowe's and picked up plants for the garden--tomatoes, green peppers, jalapeƱo peppers, squash and zuchini. I had to go to a local independent to find the onions, potatoes, and herbs I wanted to plant (mint, parsley, the usual stuff).

Now I have to sit and wait. And weed. I don't really like either.

No comments: