Sunday, January 24, 2010

Really, I'm just glad she wasn't dating Kirk.

This is an interesting (to me) post/quiz about/for people who are uncomfortable with the Spock-Uhura pairing in the Star Trek reboot, and how often racism plays into it. I largely agree with the post, except for one thing: I thought the pairing was weird because I tend to think of Spock as repressing any romantic, sexual side, except for the whole pon farr 7-year-itch, so to speak. On the other hand, subverting the idea of a Kirk-Uhura romance was good, just because I didn't expect it. But apparently I was wrong--Vulcans don't wait for pon farr, it doesn't work that way. So it's not weird for Spock and Uhura to be dating.

I dislike is the implication of the post that if you're bothered by the romance, it's because of Uhura. For me, it's how I thought of Spock's character. It's not that I think he's not being really Vulcan if he dates Uhura; I just never thought of him as having any passion. It never occurred to me.

Am I prejudiced against nerds?

(Is using the word "nerd" offensive?)

I don't know about the argument that in the 24th century Uhura and Spock would have the experience of being outsiders in common; I'd hope that by then, being a black woman wouldn't have any more significance than having red hair. But then again, even red hair is still an issue, apparently.

Humans are stupid.

And I always wanted red hair, but that's neither here nor there.

I grew up watching TOS, since my mom was a big fan. I'm sure there are a lot of things I missed, and don't remember correctly; I've only seen a hand-full of episodes as an adult, mostly I don't think it's in syndication right now. Is it?

Now, TNG, that I remember. And it helps that Syfy (ugh) plays it on Mondays. (Mondays? I think so--days blend together).

No comments: